Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do It Yourself Forum - is a Community for Landscape - Hardscape - Patio - Pavers - and more.

Wisteria on a pergola

edited June 2010 in Pergola, Trellis, & Arbor 0.00 Karma
I've always wanted a wisteria filled pergola. Unfortunately I have neither wisteria or a pergola to grow it on. lol How long does it take for wisteria to cover a small pergola?

Comments

• 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    The most important factor to consider when growing wisteria is location. Wisteria is a twining vine that requires sturdy support and regular pruning to keep it under control. Open areas surrounded by lawn that can be easily mowed are ideal for growing wisteria.
    If I'm not mistaken, wisteria also requires lots and lots of water. I tried to get some started year before last and failed to water it during the driest part of the summer. Needless to say, it didn't make it.

I planted two wisteria next to a fence and one side of the house years ago. it grows quickly. Sad to say that up in Vermont it has never flowered. This year I should cut it back drastically as it turns into quite the jungle. Then its a possibility that it could flower.
    I love wisteria when I see it growing on trellises and even when it's all up in the trees. It does take over everything around it, so you must be careful about where it's headed. It is beautiful, but the vines get to be impossible around here.
    We have wisteria all through the woods throughout our neighborhoods. It seems to run rampant, but this entire area once was a swamp, or so I hear. The ground isn't terribly wet, but we do get more than our share of mosquitoes. I rejoice each year when the wisteria blooms. I also rejoice that it's not in my own back yard.
    The wisteria around here has just started to burst into full bloom. I noticed an entire woods down the road full of it. If only it could be controlled more easily, I would love to have an entire back yard full of it.