Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do It Yourself Forum - is a Community for Landscape - Hardscape - Patio - Pavers - and more.

On Cats

edited March 2011 in Birds & Outdoor Animals 0.00 Karma
Cat is honored as a goddess in some eastern parts of Indian subcontinent, especially in Bengal, Orissa and Assam. It is called 'Mother Sashtee'. She is not formally worshiped like many other deities of the region. It is the popular belief that human children are safe and fine if cats are satisfied by their mothers. Hence, women of this region teach the children not to hit the domesticated cats.
Cat was worshiped in Egypt as the most important goddess more than two thousand years ago. There were temples of cat goddess in Egypt.

Comments

• 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I have never owned a cat but I rescued a kitty from a tree and she was such a nice sweet kitten. I couldn't keep her since my dogs wouldn't have it.
  • LouLou
    0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I personally not a cat owner but, I think they are a lot cleaner and laid-back then most pets. Maybe when I get to my old age I'll have a cat for now I like to run and play fetch with my dogs.
    Our children have had cats for a number of years. Some of them are so loving and sweet, while others have had no desire to be loved and cuddled. Each one has their own personality.
    I own a cat. Did you know that a cats mouth has 36 less bacteria then a dogs mouth? Just an interesting piece of info there.
    My cat so far has given birth to twenty five kittens! The most beuatiful one was a pure white coloured kitten with one eye blue and other green in colour. We just love cats!
    I'm a cat lover and I have been a proud owner for 12 years. They're the best pets on the planet and consider them to be more intelligent and understanding than dogs, in my opinion of course :-)

They can be the safest and cleanest pets when neutered.
    Cats can be wonderful companions. They're so smart and funny! And there's a REASON why they have lolcat fame!
    I had cats when I was a little girl but the neighbor killed them. After that, we switched to dogs. A cat wouldn't work in my home now.
    I'm a dyed in the wool cat fanatic. It's a family trait that runs down my Dad's side, and several of us are "cat talkers": we seem to understand and communicate with the aloof animals to a degree that boggles others.

Any kitten raised in my home ends up being a real character, with traits and socializations that are not common... I've taught cats to sit at the dinner table with a plate in front of them!

That I can leave my cats home alone for a weekend is just an added bonus: lots of kibble and water, a clean litter box, and I can take off for a few nights.... which I couldn't do when I owned a dog. :P
    I'm a huge cat fan as well. I have always had a cat since I was born. I have 2 cats right now (since they were born). About 4 years ago I found out I had developed an allergy and it was for cats! It broke my heart, but I kept the cats - I just take allergy medicine!
    I'm allergic myself, and once the creatures are IN the house for a week or so, my allergy symptoms abate: it's as though my body becomes accustomed to the onslaught of allergens from the animals' dander.

If I'm not around cats for a week or two, WHAM, I lose that tolerance, leaving me congested and with really itchy eyes.
    I love all animals. I tried to bring a kitty into the house once, thinking that maybe my dog would get along with it, but he wasn't having it. I don't know about "worshiping" a cat, though. It seems a little odd to me....
    I have a cat and she is precious!! We adore her. If one of our children is hurt or just mad and is crying she will run over and jump on an adult to get their attention. Now, she is not worshiped, but we do love her dearly.
    I had cats when I was younger and much prefer them to dogs but my husband loves dogs better so we just don't have either and pet other people's instead.
    naazlee.....please have your cat fixed. She is bound to be tired by now. I have had cats all my life. The latest one lived 23 years and it broke our hearts when she died. I am petless right now but am looking for 2 specific colored kittens to raise together. Cats are wonderful independent creatures with their own personalities. Just a part of the family.
    I own 3 cats and soon there will be more! Two of them are pregnant :D I think I'll keep some of the kittens to myself :D
    I don't own any cats and they disgust me. I can't stand the smell of them and they really bore me. Dogs are much more playful and fun.
    I also own a cat and she gets treated like a queen as well. She is someone we all love in my family so we try to give her an equal amount of attention. At this point I don't know how I would live without her because I truly care about her very much.
  • 2.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I think that a cat's demeanor generally adds to it's "regal aura", that's why they were worshipped during the ancient times. I just love cats! I think they're cuter and better pets as compared to dogs.
  • GiaGia
    0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I have both a cat and a dog. The cat is very independent and she likes to be cuddled when she wants. The dog tried to bully her at first and she stood up on her hind legs and batted the dog's muzzle with her claws and even drew a bit of blood! Needless to say the dog knows who's boss now and they get along wonderfully and even sleep together. Cat are lovely animals.
    Hello! I'm new here, and this is my first post. I didn't see an introductions thread so I thought to say Hi! here. I'm looking forward to reading interesting posts as well as sharing some. It's nice to meet you all!

I love my kitty cat. She's been an important member of our family for more than 5 years now, and I wouldn't have it any other way. She was a stray turned household princess. It's true she's quite independent, clean, and will show you love on her own terms. She sleeps with us in bed and keeps us entertained with the creatures she captures from the outside. I hope to spend many more happy cat years with her. >^..^<
    I never had a cat as a pet. I never liked cats, to begin with. No offense to cat owners, but I have this notion that cats are spoiled brats, acting like they are princesses and all that. I mean, they are just in one corner grooming themselves all the time, or if not, their owners are grooming them nonstop. I don't know, probably I just do not get it, or probably because I started with dogs so I am partial with my opinion, observation, and beliefs.
    Cats have always given me a weird feeling. It's almost like they know something that I don't. They seem sneaky. Maybe there is something to that goddess thing. I keep my distance from them.
    We have cats and they are fine, they know what they can do and what they can not (both inside and out). We also have dogs and the only times our cats are in trees is when the dogs are chasing them.
    I like cats, but you have to be wary of other people's cats. They can be sweet and obedient while their owner is in the room, but oh boy, if they leave the room be careful!

I have had serious run-ins that were unprovoked in any way. As soon as the owner returned to the room, the cat just got up and innocently left the room, LOL. And I'm sitting there with marks on my hand and wrist.

They can be very territorial to strangers. Even after purring and rubbing on you when the owner is around.

I could see myself owning a cat one day, though. I just stay away from other people's "sweeties". :)
    The thing about cats they are so much easier to take care of and are very clean animals. All you have to do is play with them so they can burn that natural energy and then they take care of the eating, sleeping, and hunting. They are just so easy to take care of and are clean animals.
    My mom would like to have cat as pet but they don't mix we'll with our dogs. Is there some sort of training or technique to make dogs like or respect cat. We really would to get our mom a pet cat but our dog would surely just chase them. I know that some have done this, mix cat and dog in one house and nothing bad has happened to either pet. I'm hoping we can still do the same.
  • 2.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I love cats too, in fact I prefer them a lot more than dogs. I have taken care of many cats already, it started when a stray appeared at our window meowing when I was 8 years old. We fed the cat, and it had stayed with us since then. Fast forward to the present time, I still am taking care of cats, and I own 1 cat right now. I let him stay indoors, but he can go outside and hang out in our garden whenever he wants to.
  • edited May 2013 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I own a cat currently, but I'm a bit allergic to her. I really like cats because they don't require much caring for but, they can be mean. Cats are selfish, they only want to be pet when they feel like it or else they claw you. When girl cats go into heat it is the most annoying thing, they wake you up in the middle of the night with their loud meowing, so it is important to have them spayed. Overall cats are funny creatures, but mean too.
  • 4.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    That's Bast (often misnamed Bastet)! I have a few friends who worship Her. But yeah, I think all cats are little angels. I've never met a kitty I didn't like, and I've met tons of kitties. I think they were rightfully worshiped! Cats hold a lot of symbolism over times and through different cultures.
  • 4.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I knew about them being worshipped in Egypt, but I had no idea about India. I have cats and they are wonderful creatures. I am going to make sure I don't get on their bad sides, though!