Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do It Yourself Forum - is a Community for Landscape - Hardscape - Patio - Pavers - and more.

Mosquitos

edited April 2011 in Water Gardens & Ponds 0.00 Karma
Last year my pond attracted a lot of bugs, but the worst was the mosquitos. Is there anything I can do to keep them away?

Comments

• 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    Nothing short of setting up tiki lanterns around the pond. When you have water, you have mosquitoes - especially at night. Tiki lanterns should help with the problem, but they won't get rid of them all.
    If you don't have plants IN the pond, you have options.... I've a type of fountain that CAN have plants in the water of it, and I took them out after the first year for that exact reason: mosquitoes. I routinely add some sort of pool chemical (we have an above ground pool) or bleach, or vinegar, to the water to prevent the bugs nesting in the waters.

If your pond can support fish, you might have an 'out' with that, they'll eat the larvae of the pests.

Mosquitoes love clover too, so if it's around your pond, you've got twice the trouble.

I'm going to experiment with lemon rinds this year - I'll let you know how that goes.
    I'm not sure about keeping them completely away from the pond, but we have found that tea tree oil works wonders to keep mosquitos from biting us. We mix it with water in a spray bottle or just put a drop on our clothes.
    Fish, especially koi, love to feed on mosquitoes, both the adults and the larvae. Introducing a few into your pond will help keep mosquitoes under control. Removing clover will also help, but natural predation works best.
    We used to have a koi pond, and they do love to eat the mosquitoes. Plant marigolds around in strategic spots. I read not long ago that keeping a fan blowing helped when you're eating outside. Mosquitoes can't fly in wind. I thought this was genius.
    I don't even think tiki torches work well. I would try treating the yard with Cutter backyard spray. That might keep them from entering the yard to begin with. We have sprayed this and so far so good.
    You can mix Dawn dish soap and water in a sprayer and spray it in your yard. My grandmother used to do this and it did seem to help keep them down.
    Listerine works well too. My brother lives on the coast and he he keeps a spray bottle on hand at all times of listerine diluted with water. When he wants to sit outside, he'll just spray around the area and no mosquitoes.
    You can use fish, scented candles, or a supersonic sound but I think the best way to get rid of them is to prevent them. Mosquitoes like standing water and a good way to prevent that is to have moving water. If you install a little pump that either just blows air up under water or a little pump to recycle the water by putting it back in while making ripples.

Another option is put some chlorine in the pond but then you can't put fish in.
    If you have water, mosquitos will come! Fish - even cheap goldfish - are your first line of defense in the pond. You can also get Mosquito Dunks that will treat the pond.
    Natural predation works best under these kind of circumstances. Not only are you getting rid of those pesky mosquitoes, you are also giving free food to your koi fishes.
  • GiaGia
    0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I hear lavender oil works great to keep mosquitoes away. You can also try lighting up some of those citronella candles as well. Another thing I thought of is one of those zappers that you take camping and plug in. They light up and attract the bugs and fry them.
    I think that fish are the most effective way to go. They will also look very nice in your pond. If the problem is more serious, use supersonic sound.
    We always go with citronella, too. Honestly, I don't know how else to deal with them without using chemicals that would end up killing the wildlife and fish in the pond, too.
  • edited August 2012 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I agree with 'Icandoit'. Dish soap is supposed to keep mosquitoes from hanging around water. However, as Jessi says, you will kill any wildlife in the pond. You could try Citronella lamps. Also, I think 'OFF' makes something that burns and puts a smell in the air and keeps mosquitoes away.
  • 4.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I had wondered about mosquito issues for people with ponds. Recently, I was at a home and garden show. There were two companies that were adversting themselves for services to get rid of mosquitoes in peoples yards. I guess they are like bug exterminators, but for outside pest. They probably lay a layer of a chemical in the yard. Thought they would be great for our yard.
    Well, I found this: http://eartheasy.com/live_natpest_control.htm and it's natural so it shouldn't harm them. It's also got other bugs if you ever get a problem with them. A little warning before you click the link- there are pictures of the creepy crawlies (which startled me) so watch out when you do.
    Wear bug spray or one of those Off Clip-On fans to blow them away. Do this especially if you are exercising outdoors since you will sweat a lot in the kind of weather they happen to be out in. Since they cannot fly in the breeze, that would most likely keep them away. Have lit lamps outside in your yard in certain spots around your yard to distract them as well.
  • 3.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I would suggest planting various plants to help you like marigolds, citronella, lavender, etc. There are a lot of plants that naturally retract mosquitoes.