Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do It Yourself Forum - is a Community for Landscape - Hardscape - Patio - Pavers - and more.

Humming Birds

edited April 2011 in Birds & Outdoor Animals 0.00 Karma
What kind of humming bird feeder do you have? In the past, I have used a cheap plastic one that attaches to our door for the girls to watch the birds. This year, I would like to get one a little more durable. Any thoughts?

Comments

• 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I have a plastic basin-style feeder, the sort that looks like a Tupperware dish? I like it because it's easy to clean and doesn't look too stupid hanging around the garden.
  • 0.00 KarmaPosts: 29
    Thanks Brinley. I am going to be out shopping today. I will have to see what all is available. I must get away from my trusty old suction cup feeder.
    I bought the stackable ones this year and I love them. At first I thought they were going to ignore the top one but they eventually got around to it. But, alas...they have flown south now and I must put my feeders in for the winter.
    I envy you all having humming birds to watch. I live in the UK and we don't, although we do have plenty of other birds and wildlife.
    I have a feeder that is half plastic and half metal. It is very colorful and looks sturdy as well. I would recommend spending a bit more more than usual on a bird feeder because squirrels usually have very easy access to it.
    We have used several different kinds.

The feeds on standard feeders that you get from the store will hold most 2 liter and 20 oz bottles, so we have replaced the old bottles in the past. Then we could decorate the bottles how ever we wanted, which I always enjoyed.
    I have yet to get one but it is on the list of things to spruce up the backyard with, they are so tiny and quiet, love them! I am thinking of maybe one that hangs off a pole in the ground to keep our kitty away from the feeder.
    We have several hummingbird feeders. My favorite is the stained glass feeder. It is bright and it draws the birds right to it. Hummingbirds are pretty cool to watch.
    I prefer the glass bottle type of feeder, they are much easier to clean. The downside to most feeders is the plastic parts, they will break eventually so I tend not to spend to much on them.
    Yeah its a lot easier to clean those glass feeders. And stains from food doesnt stick, so there will be no discoloration overtime..
    And plastic containers usually get scratched in a couple of months, which makes it harder to clean..
  • 4.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I love hummingbirds and really do wish we had them here on the UK. They are just so pretty. I love their colours. I'd hang up 100 feeders just to see them.
  • 2.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    My mother uses glass ones that have a plastic screw on "top" with perches on it. Once you screw the lid on, you turn it upside down for the sugar water to come out. She's had these for year and years. She's also bought some really pretty ornamental ones that are made of mosaic looking colored glass that are similar. Lowe's and Home Depot has a great selection. For me, I much prefer planting flowers that attract them. Cleomes are a good choice, as they are attracted to the color, they bloom all season and they are tall enough that you can see the hummingbirds. While cleomes are annuals, they reseed themselves so they come back every year. They also like malvas, a perennial which has a long blooming time. Just ask at your local nursery and they can point you in the right direction.
  • 4.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    Ours is glass and its great! It looks great outside, especially with the other yard decorations, and it attracts A LOT of humming
  • 3.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    My grandparents live out in the middle of nowhere in a desert/farm like area. They have one of those plastic red feeders where the part the hummingbirds go to are yellow and look like flowers and she makes some special concoction of sugar and water and nectar I believe? I'm not too sure, but anyway, you wouldn't even think that hummingbirds would be in that area, but they totally are. They get so many of them that they actually will land on you if you're close enough to the feeder. It's one of the neatest experiences and I'd love to recreate that at my house! Unfortunately, I live in an area that's too cold.