Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do It Yourself Forum - is a Community for Landscape - Hardscape - Patio - Pavers - and more.

Doghouses

edited April 2011 in Birds & Outdoor Animals 0.00 Karma
I hate seeing raggedy-looking doghouses on a nice yard. If you can't do anything else, it doesn't take much time or effort to repaint the one you have. I like building doghouses, so I usually just make a new one.

Comments

• 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    We also build our own doghouses. We think it's a very relaxing and fun thing to do. On the other hand, my neighbor had a very bad dog that chewed every doghouse he had. That's why I don't blame people who have "raggedy-looking doghouses ".
    I love the idea that people build dog houses that match the exterior of the main home. This is such a neat idea and building one really isn't that large of an undertaking. Of course, you can't do anything about a dog that insists on chewing the structure, but if you don't have this issue, this is a great project that will add some curb appeal to your home.
    I also like the idea of the dog house matching the main house and will soon be taking on the project of building two dog houses or possibly a large one with two separate areas or separate rooms for each of my dogs.
    It doesn't bother me. It does kind of surprise me, though. Usually someone who takes care of their home and yard are the same people who wouldn't want a raggedy dog house in the first place. Maybe they just don't notice somehow?
    @novasparker Building a doghouse is also a great way to bring the family together. You can divide the chores so everyone has something to do: saw, paint, assamble, etc
    In a way, it is relaxing. My father always do something from scratch and they turn out to be very useful to us. You cannot imagine what you can do from something you though is already a trash. Dogs deserves a nice place to live even they are outdoor. A comfortable place to stay and to play just like people do.
    I would rather pay for a nice wood house for my dog. But she stays in the house, so that's out. I'm not good at making anything involving wood. ;-) I do agree some dogs can be destructive when they are mad.
    A dog house can be very expensive, so we rather make our owns. We've seen the prices and it's a lot cheaper to build one.
    The only situation that I can see where someone with a nice yard has a bad looking dog house is that they do not have a dog any more and see no point in taking care of something that they do not use. Meaning it could be either too soon or just too painful to redo the dog house.
    I have not seen many houses with myself and know of very few but usually they don't look too bad or are simple where they are not suppose to be an extravagant luxury house for the dog.
    If someone doesn't need the doghouse anymore they should just throw it away or at least store it.