Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do It Yourself Forum - is a Community for Landscape - Hardscape - Patio - Pavers - and more.

How do you keep squirrels out of your birdfeeders?

edited May 2011 in Birds & Outdoor Animals 0.00 Karma
I love watching all of the small animals from my window, and while I even love watching the squirrels, I wish they would stop eating the bird seed that I put out for the birds! I throw enough food out intended for the squirrels, already, and bird seed is not cheap. Is there any way to keep them out of it?

Comments

• 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    We don't reallly have a problem with squirrels here, but my step-mom uses plastic snakes. She said it has worked in past years, but this year she said it didn't phase the squirrels at her house.
    People have invented all sorts of weird contraptions to keep squirrels away from bird feeders but I don't think any of them work. I watched a squirrel knock a metal feeder off the post and drag it away through a fence to dismantle at his leisure!
  • 0.00 KarmaPosts: 28
    That's funny, TrinaBell! He just took the whole darn thing, huh? And I never heard of using plastic snakes - I guess the squirrels eventually got wise to them, anyway.
    I.......Me........I am the one that has tried just about everything there is to try. I tried the plastic snakes and they literally covered them up with mulch. I've tried the electronic sound thing, greasing the pole, and and BB gun. I give up. I am going to try the circular shield that fits around the bottom of the pole and I think that will be my last effort. Pesky rascals!!!
    As a last resort, I bought the circular shield and , guess what. It didn't work. I still haven't seen how they are getting around it but when I do, I will try to adjust it. I really think I have tried everything now outside of squirrel stew.
    Squirrels are a pain here as well and I have never found any method, which keeps them out of the bird feeders. They have eaten through my wooden feeders and gotten through the metal ones as well. I gave up and now I throw peanuts on the ground and that keeps the squirrels occupied enough to keep them from wrecking my birdfeeders
    We have the same problem. We've tried plastic and lucite bird feeders that we attach to walls. The squirrels eat through the lucite to get through to the seed. We've hung feeders from the trees, but the squirrels jump from the house to the feeders. We've tried special feeders that "dump" the heavier squirrels. Nothing works. Please offer a solution, somebody!
    Use old vinyl LP albums that you don’t want or that have no value anymore for squirrel baffles -- they keep the squirrels from raiding our bird feeders!
    (The only wildlife pests in our state worse than squirrels are the deer.)

I thread a wire through an LP, then the bird feeder hanger, and another LP. We scoot the albums two or three feet away from the feeder in each direction. Then wrap black or duct tape around the wire on each side of the album so that it can’t move back and forth on the wire. Don’t tape the record to the wire -- you want that baby to spin violently when a squirrel tries to get around it!

While the squirrels can run on top of the wire suspending the bird feeder between two trees, they can’t quite navigate around the spinning LPs to get into the feeder.

I also find that buying a cheap sack of corn helps immensely. Put some corn in an aluminum pie plate out near where you keep the bird feeder. Most of the time, our squirrels prefer the easy pickings over working very hard to get into the bird feeder.

That's a brilliant idea, Hysssssteria.

Birds don't feel pain when eating seed treated with hot pepper but mammals do. I bought some suet that was heat treated, but I am still setting up my feeders and haven't tried it. I would imagine that the seed would be expensive.
    I have heard of a bird feeder that is upside down. Every time something heavier than a bird tries to eat out of it, it tips over and throws the animal off. I don't know the name of the product, but I know it is affordable and it is effective.
    We have the same problem with the bird feeders. They end up as squirrel feeders. I often consider taking a pellet gun out back and target practicing on the little varmints. I think this is illegal where I live, so I don't. We got rid of some of the trees, so maybe the squirrels moved away. I'm so hoping they changed their addresses. I can't see stringing black vinyl records across the back yard, so I'll just feed birds and squirrels and keep complaining.
    I have also tried numerous methods to keep the squirrels out of the bird feeders. I even tried giving the squirrel its own feeder and filling it with corn that I bought at a pet store. I was assured that the squirrels would love it. They don't. They will only eat it once all the bird seed is gone.
    The most effective thing I've seen to keep the squirrels out of the bird feeders is to put a squirrel guard at the base of the feeder. The most effective ones I've seen actually curl downward to keep the squirrel from being able to climb around it. I've also see people who have used trash can lids instead of buying the premade ones...this generally works best for stand alone feeders on stands.
    I have had good luck with plastic snakes and BB guns so far. Some of our birds are so mean that they will attack the squirrels and occasionally the dog!
    Well for starters I would say get an actual bird feed instead of simply throwing it out on the ground. And then you can put in measures to keep the squirrels out of that.
    I used to have the same problem, but it was more with grackles than with squirrels. We purchased a cage that went around the entire bird feeder. They have them at most any bird stores. It did the trick, but it was about $40, and that was many years ago.
    I would have to say that you need to buy a specific bird cage in which the entrance is blocked for squirrels. I would even spend more money on what you would traditionally spend on a bird feeder. I would recommend this because I know it could do the trick. I wish you the best of luck to get rid of this problem.
    We have problems with squirrels getting into our bird feeders as well. They actually sell "squirrel proof" bird feeders around here, and that's what we ended up buying. The only problem is, sometimes birds get stuck in the bird feeder (when the feed gets really low) and you have to let them out. (It's easy to keep this from happening by just keeping the feed topped off, though.)
    Aww. I have never heard of birds getting stuck in them, keepitup. I wouldn't want to use those then. I would rather use more natural ways to prevent the squirrels from getting in instead of risking hurting the birds, too.
  • 4.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    Put a wire cage around the bird feeder that the squirrel cannot fit through but birds can. Simples.
    I have invested in the bird feeders that are suppose to be squirrel resistant. They seem to work for awhile, but in time the squirrels figure it out. The worse with squirrels coming on the feeders are that they spill the seed on the ground and then weeds tend ot grow.
    I hang them on cast iron poles in the yard. The simply can't get to them, and it looks good to boot.