Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do It Yourself Forum - is a Community for Landscape - Hardscape - Patio - Pavers - and more.

make or buy humming bird food

edited May 2011 in Birds & Outdoor Animals 0.00 Karma
Do you make or buy your humming bird food? I have heard that it doesn't need to be red, but it always looks so much better in the feeders when it has some color. I have also read that you just mix 1/4 cup of sugar in a cup of water and that is all that is to making the food yourself.

Comments

• 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    Thanks for posting mrfixit! I love Hummingbirds, and haven't seen any for a long time. It will be great to be able to invite them back into the yard. I will have to look into getting a Hummingbird feeder and try the sugar and water feed to see if that will bring them back. I do know they are attracted to certain colors.
  • 0.00 KarmaPosts: 26
    Karen1, do you know which flowers attract hummingbirds? It seems like I remember hearing that petunias attract them, but I can't remember which other ones do. I also saw some potted flowers that specifically said they attracted hummingbirds last year, but I haven't seen them this year.
    I thought hummingbird food involved some type of nectar or honey. I would be afraid to make it because of all the bugs or bees it would attract....
    I think the first couple of times you make it you should make it red - this is what attracts the hummingbirds to the feeder. After you have attracted them to your feeder, you can stop adding the color. We always make our own.
    I have always made my own as well. I bought some at first and then researched how to make the food myself and found that I always have sugar on hand, so it is easier to make it when I run out instead of running out to the store when I need some.