Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do It Yourself Forum - is a Community for Landscape - Hardscape - Patio - Pavers - and more.

Want to extend my patio area?

edited April 2010 in Patio, Deck, & Pavers 0.00 Karma
I have a small concrete patio that fits a good size patio table and 4 chairs but thats it. I have a huge yard and I am wanting to extend my patio to the left at the end of my house and of course forward. Should I just use concrete? What are my options?

Comments

• H_CH_C
    edited April 2010 1.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    For the materials, here is a link to another post, (the materials for walkways and patios are, or can be the same).

materials for patio or walkway

Some tips are:

If you want to get by with a cost-effective approach - use some patio blocks on sale from a large hardware store like Home Depot/Lowe's. Find a color and type that will look nice with the existing patio. If not sure about the color - buy just one and bring home to test. (if you don't like, you can return it.

Another option if you want to go all out and spend the money - tear out old patio slab (not sure of current condition) but start a new patio, there are many, many ideas for materials. Pavers of many types/colors, patio block, stone or flagstone, etc., but that is another discussion or two.
  • 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    There are many options for designs that you can find online or through how-to books at the library or bookstore. I like the block or stone idea with either starting over from the beginning or modifying with a block or stone that compliments what you already have.
    Your idea of extending the patio is a great idea to have a bit more space to enjoy. While there may be few options available to extend, the most common extension of an existing concrete patio is with concrete or brick pavers. The important aspect to be maintained is that the new portion of an extended patio must be perfectly match with the old patio. The best way to build a new surface is through a process known as sand-set installation. Sand-setting is easier than mortaring the pavers.
  • H_CH_C
    edited April 2010 1.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    Here is a photo example using the patio blocks and shows what they look like next to a concrete sidewalk.

extend my patio area
    Extension of an existing patio is not a tough call and can be just extended with concrete covered with marbles for great look.
  • 0.00 KarmaPosts: 91
    Thanks, I decide to do use the patio blocks and I chose three colors and 2 worked out for me. I have started it not finished yet, it is coming out really nice. It's a lot of hard work, doing it myself, I can't wait till it's all done.
    I'm impressed that you are doing it yourself, but I also think that makes you appreciate it more. Take your time, that's my advice. Happy constructing!
    Hope the extension work is progressing well and comes up to the expectation. It's hard to start on own but the ultimate satisfaction can't be described or portrayed in words.
  • H_CH_C
    1.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    Patio blocks can be affordable and easier to install than other pavers, The color choices are better these days also, and they can be a good option for a do-it-yourself project.
    You can improve your yard by creating a garden and then build the concrete patio around it so that you don't lose the green areas that are always vital. Putting concrete in the entire area would be a crime in my opinion.
    Hope the work is completed by now and you are enjoying at the extended patio. Hope made a wonderful and reclaiming patio being built with limited resource.
    There are many alternatives for styles that found on the internet or through how-to guides at the collection or book store. I like the prevent or rock concept with either beginning over from the beginning or changing with a prevent or rock that enhances what you already have.
  • PatPat
    2.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    There are patio colored stones now that make it very easy to create beautiful designs when enhancing your patio area. There are so many chooses now that the hard part might be making a decision on what you want to add to the area.