Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do It Yourself Forum - is a Community for Landscape - Hardscape - Patio - Pavers - and more.

Deer in my garden

edited July 2011 in Birds & Outdoor Animals 0.00 Karma
We had a nice surprise the other day when a lovely little Muntjac deer appeared in our back garden. Luckily we don't have any flowers, apart from wild ones, because it ate the flowers in my neighbour's garden! What do you have in your garden?

Comments

• 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    Right now our garden is empty so wouldn't need to worry but I do know someone who lives near the National Forrest and have this problem. Every time they try to have a nice Veggie or Flower Garden, along come the deer and eat them up! Best thing is to build a VERY high fence around the veggies!
  • 0.00 KarmaPosts: 118
    Funnily enough, my neighbour does have a high fence around his whole garden so the deer must have jumped it to get in. That is the only explanation and I know they can jump very high.
    When I lived up in the North of Scotland the cows had the run of the village as it was all common grazing and it wasn't unusual to have a cow in my garden eating my flowers and vegetables!
    At my house in the coutry side foxes visit us pretty often, there were also wolves 10 years ago but not anymore. I know it sounds like a horror movie, but really, it's not :) People are used to deal with wild animals over there.
    Protection From Wildlife:

Protect your shrubs from hungry deer: Suspend nylon stockings stuffed with barbershop clippings, or Ivory soap wrapped in netting, from the shrubs' branches.

Deer-proof shrubs or other plants by surrounding them with a trail of lion manure. Zoos give it away. Deer give it a wide berth.

Protect you saplings from rabbits and mice: Wrap their trunks with strips of fiberglass insulation.
    I don't have the deer issue because I live in the city, but I've always heard that the only way to keep them at bay are physical barriers. Deer can jump insanely high, so I don't know how effective fencing is, but the one thing I did hear of working are motion activated sprinklers. Have you thought about trying those?
    I would not be happy if I had deer in my garden. Right now we have a garden full of vegetable plants. The only critters that go in the garden are snakes and my kitten on occasion. We have a large fenced in garden.
    Ivory soap would keep me away because I'm allergic to it. I'd have to drive 150 miles for the lion manure, but that's a great suggestion. The deer don't bother my vegetables, but oh, the big old blackbirds do. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
    I would love the idea of a deer visiting but not if it was going to eat up all the flowers in my garden. I have a lot of roses, bougainvillea and orchids in my garden and I do put in some efforts in maintaining them.
    My mom has garden but she lives in the city and usually the squirrels eat her plums off the tree. We can never get them to fully grow out because the squirrels eat them green. Deers where I stay mainly come during night time and they usually are running across street to street.
    I live in the city so I could never imagine this happening to me. I would probably scream or have a freak out moment if this would happen because I am very used to the city life. I hope that I will never have to encounter this in my life.
    Deers are not agressive animals. Think about Bambi, not his father.
  • 2.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I have lived all my life in the city too, so I have no experience at all with deers and squirrels creeping up on our lawn. I only see stray cats hanging out on our back or front yard, and sometimes they are atop our cement fence. My dad loves plants and flowers, so we have a lot of those planted on our lawn.
    I live in the middle of a city of 25,000 and we have had 12 deer in our yard at once. They ate everything in the garden last year so I installed a fence to keep them out. The fence worked great but the heat and drought of the midwest made for a poor harvest.