Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do It Yourself Forum - is a Community for Landscape - Hardscape - Patio - Pavers - and more.

Chipping and putting green etiquette... and the lack thereof

edited August 2011 in Putting and Chipping Greens 0.00 Karma
I was under the impression that if the chipping green was crowded, then you should only hit a few balls, around 5 or so, pick them up and go chip again. i was also under the impression that thou shalt not chip on the putting green. and lastly, i had always assumed that one should not take up three putting holes when there are only 10 and there's 8 people on the green.
between last thursday and today, my previous assumptions were shattered. last week, a gentleman took out a sack of about 50 balls, and with complete disregard for the other four people on the chipping green, began to empty out his sack(no pun intended) on about three holes on the green.
today, on the putting green, which is 20 feet from the chipping green btw, i find not one, but two jackasses. one was chipping onto the green using about 20 balls on two holes. the other had about 10 and was dispersing them among three holes. which left 5 holes for the other 6 people.

does this ever happen at your club? have you had a similar experience? if so, here's your chance to vent.
thoughts...

Comments

• 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    Originally Posted by jondiego
    "I was under the impression that if the chipping green was crowded, then you should only hit a few balls, around 5 or so, pick them up and go chip again. i was also under the impression that thou shalt not chip on the putting green. and lastly, i had always assumed that one should not take up three putting holes when there are only 10 and there's 8 people on the green.
    between last thursday and today, my previous assumptions were shattered. last week, a gentleman took out a sack of about 50 balls, and with complete disregard for the other four people on the chipping green, began to empty out his sack(no pun intended) on about three holes on the green.
    today, on the putting green, which is 20 feet from the chipping green btw, i find not one, but two jackasses. one was chipping onto the green using about 20 balls on two holes. the other had about 10 and was dispersing them among three holes. which left 5 holes for the other 6 people.

does this ever happen at your club? have you had a similar experience? if so, here's your chance to vent.
    thoughts... "
    ----------------------

Don't usually have problems with people hogging extra holes on the putting green, but I hate it when somebody decides to chip 50-75 balls all over the chipping green. I just pick a hole and chip my 3-5 balls towards it.
    The pro shop would be having fits if you were chipping on the practice putting green.

It's a definite no-no.

In fact, one time I was there and they had just installed two new practice greens in the area that was once the old chipping green. I, assuming that the area that used to be for chipping was still for chipping, started chipping two balls toward one hole. Before I could scarcely hit the 2nd ball a guy came flying by in his cart sternly telling me that this green was no longer for chipping. Well ok, i'm fine with that. But there were no signs in sight and this is at a golf course with two fairly large practice greens already so you may be able to see why i was a little confused.

needless to say I moved about 20 feet to the real chipping green and continued chipping.
    A guy did the same thing the other day here. They allow short chips at this course - nothing that's going to leave a pitch mark, but this guy dumped a shag bag out and started chipping away. The 9 hole green was crowded.

I just putt to one of the holes he was Bogarting.
    Just don't yell "Fore!" then if he gets hit you can say "Well, you are supposed to play through not be practicing there!"

But there are dopes like this all over and the sad part is that they are likely dopes in every area of their lives going around just making great places harder to enjoy.