Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do It Yourself Forum - is a Community for Landscape - Hardscape - Patio - Pavers - and more.

Are light colors 'classier' than darker colors?

edited August 2011 in Painting, Lighting, & Decorating 0.00 Karma
Over years of observation, I have come to the realization, at least according to my taste, that lighter colors generally makes rooms look cleaner, crisper, and more classy looking. To my eyes, dark paint colors in rooms without really great furniture and interesting architectural elements can look really cheap--especially when the paint is not flat. Now dark colors can look great when there is a lot of molding in a big room, and of course there are exceptions as there are many small rooms that look great with dark paint. In my experience, it seems like I keep picking paint colors that are too dark and end up making my smaller and not especially well-lit rooms look heavy. When I have gone lighter than I might have originally thought, the rooms look much better.
Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Maybe watching too much Sarah Richardson lately? (I admit, her rooms are often too light and not enough color for me)

Comments

• 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I think it is because there are, in my mind, two general types of decorating schemes. One is Paint based, and one is Contents based.
    If the room has strong architecture (which can be content), and great furniture and accessories as content, the walls of the room are often given a treatment that take a secondary role in the decor.

In a room has weak architecture, it is often recommended that paint, paint treatments and accents be used to add interest, often this is done with a neutral carpet or flooring that doesn't bring much to the table. I got this sense from a contract designer friend who would say "there is no budget, so everything is going to be paint."

A strong color in a room full of strong things can be balanced where sometimes I think a strong color overpowers an ordinary room with average furnishings.

The other thing is that lighter rooms photograph much easier than intensely colored rooms and things such as flash do things to darker or non flat paint colors that are not flattering.

So, I don't know that it is "classier" per se, but I think it is an outgrowth of different approaches.
  • edited August 2011 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I love Sarah Richardson! I tend to go with neutral colors throughout, not necessarily the same color, but no dark colors for me. Of the times I've experimented with darker colors, I end up repainting immediately or wishing I had chosen a different color. I haven't ever done that with my lighter neutrals.
    I have to say no way! If depends on what you do with the dark colors. Funny, I am watching House right now and his place has lots of dark colors and I love it!
    I guess it depends on what you want the mood to be. I like both. It depends on lighting and decor along with your lighting.

Just my peronal opinion.
    My personal favorite colors of paint are light and dark. I'd hate to be limited to either/or.
    It all depends on the space and function of the room. How the lighting, both natural and artificial, hits the room can make a big difference. The trim and wts also affect the outcome of the paint color.

I love some variety, so instead of doing all light colors this time, I have a real mix. I had 2 colors not work for me, one too light by a lot (ceiling)and one too dark by a hair (kitchen). I repainted both within days of the first try. The one I am still considering changing is in our master bath. It has pretty pale lavender walls, but with white cabs, a white marble counter, lots of mirrors and bright natural light (thanks to the solartube), it is a little jarring first thing in the a.m.. The room looks gorgeous, but may be too bright for its function. I will give it at least a year (by then, I am hopefully done painting other rooms and have a week off from painting, lol) and then consider a dark silvery gray.

I have seen stunning rooms in both light or dark shades. I think I am less partial to mid tone colors because they take less conviction to do.

A good designer/homeowner, can make any color work. It is all about context.
    I prefer light colours because it opens up the space and makes rooms look larger but I'm not averse to one wall being painted a darker, contrasting colour. That can look really great.
    I don't know about "classier". I think it is all in how you decorate the room after you paint it. Dark colors can be very classy, if you work with the colors and accent them right.
    I don't know about "classier". I think it is all in how you decorate the room after you paint it. Dark colors can be very classy, if you work with the colors and accent them.
    I enjoy the lighter colors best, but light colors open up spaces and make them feel airy and cheerful. They are a real pick-me-up, so I gravitate toward them. I don't know when, or if, I'd ever use dark colors unless it's for a pop of contrast.
    How about light and dark paint in the same room. One or two walls of each. I have seen some really tasteful decorating done in this fashion. I do think that if you try and keep up with the trends, you would be painting every year and I don't choose to do that.
    I was going to say right off the bat that I find dark colors classier. However, I think you made an excellent point with your mention of architectural aspects. Unique space is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of classy dark colors.
    For me, it all depends on the colors of the curtains, furniture, and the appliances and not just the color of the room. I have been to houses with dark colored walls but it compliments with the light colors of the things inside that room.
    I live in a climate where there isn't much sunshine throughout the year, so using light colors is much more preferable. Dark color impart a very gloomy look that we really don't need when we're gloomy enough in winter! I am very happy I didn't go for a darker flooring especially, I finally chose a lighter wooden floor and it fits in very well with the light colors of the walls to make the place look light and airy.
    I think the combination in which you use the colours is the most important and I also think that light colours are great for your mood :)
  • 4.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I like doing light colors in small rooms like the bedrooms and the warmer darker colors in larger rooms like the living room. But I did do a burnt orange in my bathroom, which isn't very big and it looks awsome. I was very nerves but it turned out great. But in my bedrooms I did a light color and the kitchen and living room darker, warmer colors that I can add decor to brighten it up.
    I am not really sure. We went darker in our house but everyone that has seen the few things we have changed so far loves the ideas. Either that or they are lying to us.
    I think darker colors look more classy and classic. Particularly reds and purples
  • 3.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I think light colours can look classy but when dark colours are used in conjunction with light colours, then this can create a very elegant and modern effect too. For example, dark grey can look wonderful when used with white, it all depends on the colour co-ordination.
    I agree with you. To me, lighter colors look better and "classier" on walls. however, a dark color accent wall can look amazing in a room if done correctly. I think it could also depend more on the color than the shade in some cases. I would prefer a deep, dark red over a very bright red any day. I would also prefer a dark green over post-it color green. Still, I think whites, light browns and other light or pale colors are better over all.
  • 3.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I tend to prefer light to medium tones on the walls. I am not a fan of all white walls, preferring some variety, but, I do think dark colors can make rooms appear smaller. In some cases, I like the look of dark wood flooring, but I would set them off with light to medium walls, so the place looked coordinated and crisp. I think contrast can definitely increase interest. I have noticed on some of the decorating/remodeling shows, they are adding some detailing to at least one wall, whether it's a paint pattern, high end wallpaper, or actual texture, such as rock or bead board. As long as it's not overdone, I think it can look really nice.