Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do It Yourself Forum - is a Community for Landscape - Hardscape - Patio - Pavers - and more.

How to Build a Small Pond for Your Yard

edited September 2011 in Water Gardens & Ponds 1.00 Karma
Getting a modest pond within your yard can provide a lot of character and interest into your landscape design. You may be thinking: "build a pond? That's likely to take forever!" Little do you know that it's not that hard of the process. All of it depends on your outdoor environment.
Tagged:

Comments

• 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    To build a pond you need to first to dig a nice round hole to the size of your choice. Then you buy pond lining to put around the hole. Next put rocks around the side of it to keep the lining in place. Then you could either buy a water pump, or fill it with water regularly.
    I live in a very rainy climate. Would that affect the look of the pond, ie make it look dirty or something? Also, how do you avoid flies and mosquitoes breeding in the stagnant water? Is there some kind of water aerator (like you can get for glass fish tanks)? I am intrigued by the idea of having a pond in the yard, it would really make the yard stand out.
    I have a friend that makes ponds for a living, he's very creative and efficient. I'll have one done for myself in april.
    My mom really wants to build a pond. She currently has a pool but now that me and my sisters have grown up, its is rarely used. This was there is already ground dug and a nice open area.
    I dream of having a pool, unfortunately I don't have enough space for one :(
    If your thinking of getting a pool, make sure you get lets of good use of it! Becuase my parents spend a lot on the upkeep of it and it hardly pays off from how little use it is getting...
    The key to a successful pond is planning and placement. The main reason for this is that you can add or remove elements that are or not working for you, but once the hole is dug, the pond is there to stay. To keep algae at a minimum, your pond should have limited exposure to direct sunlight. You also need to make a plan for the additional space you will need to accomodate your filter's housing to keep it from being an unwelcome focal point of your garden.
    This sounds little a great idea for my backyard. I have the perfect space for it. But I wonder if there is more needed to do it. I mean what kind of rocks do you need? Do you have to worry about properly sealing it?
    My husband and I have been talking about making a coy pond for years. I have seen lots of good ideas for ponds on pinterest.com . Maybe this will be the year! HGTV should have an all 'water' show that focuses on ponds and such. Once in a while someone will do a backyard pond on a show but I bet they could make a whole series on them.
    I have never had this thought of having a pond in my garden until I read your post. Thank you for the post and I think the people here have already given quite a few good suggestions. I am going to try it out and see how my garden looks with a pond in it.
    One thing I would like to add is, the place where I live in does not have that much rains. It is a comparitively dry place. Would it make difference with me having a pond? I mean, will it be difficult for me to have a pond which will not look natural?
    I have been looking into building a pond in our backyard, but I have a few questions if anyone can answer them, I would be most appreciative. I have always wanted to put in a pond with a foot bridge that goes over the middle, but how do you anchor it in place? There have been a few that I have seen, where the water is baby blue, how is that achieved, or just overall cleanliness? Also, I would like to put Koi fish in it, how do you keep them alive, and what kind of plant life is okay to us with them? Thank.
    I would still love to do this but the more I think about it the more I think about our dogs. They are quiet rambunctious and I doubt they will ever grow out of the puppy stage. The oldest is almost ten years old and he still acts like he is ten weeks old!
    We used to have a small koi pond that was about 3 feet deep. It was here when we moved here. Storms sent a few trees through it, and we ended up filling it in. Now that I'm home more, I would love to have another one. It does take some upkeep.
    My x-boss had a coy pond in his yard (we were next door neighbors) and I must say it was such a refreshing and relaxing sight and sound with the water constantly trickling because he has a small water fall in it as well.

I lived next door to him for about 3 years and his fish got so big. Then the tragedy happened. He started dating some woman that wouldn't take rejection well when he was done with her and she poured soap powder in his pond. Of course the fish saw it as food and feasted and died shortly after. It was soo sad! I couldn't believe a person could do such a thing to innocent fish :( So horrible!!
    I would absolutely love to build a pond with trickling water, big ol' Koi fish and water lilies/other water plants.

Warmweatherwoman -- what a sad story!? :( Why would she do that? She should have taken it out on him, not his fish!
    Yeah, having a pond on your garden may add character to your landscape if its well built and in the long run should be well maintained. But before you decide to install one you should take time to plan it. Make sure that you have enough space that accommodate it and the pumps that you will install with it. Also, you need to consider the maintenance. If you are certain that you will be able to handle the maintenance requirement of having a pond then its ok for you to have one. Just remember that not all landscape will jive well with a pond. Make sure that adding such will not cause chaos to the harmony of elements in your garden.
  • 4.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    We have got the stuff to make a small pond in our garden and are trying to find ways to put it in and decorate around it. it's nice to read others ideas to help me figure out something to do. We have have it just sitting in the back yard forever now so I just want to find the perfect place for it and dig a hole to start it out.
  • 4.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    We have plastic tubs specifically made for a pond. The problem is the different sections have several different depths. You can't just dig a hole and put it in. This is a project that may never get done. Lol