Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do It Yourself Forum - is a Community for Landscape - Hardscape - Patio - Pavers - and more.

Living in the country

edited March 2012 in Birds & Outdoor Animals 0.00 Karma
What do you like most about living in the country? Is it the birdsong, the animals, the smells or a combination of all of these? For me it's all of these plus the space!

Comments

• 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I spend as much time as I can in the country side. I love working the field, feeding the animals, relaxing on the grass by the river, listening to the songbirds. I also enjoy bathing in the stream, taking long walks in the forest and smelling wild flowers.
    The house I lived in all my life was in the country surrounded by farm fields. I can honestly describe it as heaven on earth. The fresh smells and feeling of shade from our many trees. I can't think of a better place to raise children! So much room to run and so many things to explore. But I'd say my favorite thing about country life in the privacy. No nosy neighbors! :)
  • 1.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I couldn't agree more. The country privacy and view are second to none, you hit the nail on the head.
  • 1.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    It sounds like a consensus. I love the quiet ,the birds animals, head-space, fresh air.
    Another advantage is the ability to say hello to a stranger. If you meet one in your area the usual questioning arises, where are you from and where are you going? It's always a pleasure to give some information. I had two French people walking on a trail a few mile from me the other day while I was out walking. They were a bit lost. I invited them back for coffee and sent them off in the right direction. Ahh living in the country.
    You're right, xenon, in the country side everybody knows everybody, but this thing can have downsides too... you know... all the gossip...
    Although I loved living in the country, we moved back to good old suburbia after 8 years. My husband was completely unequipped to live a country life style. He discovered that along with the elbow room came the need to take care of that room. Fields need to be grazed or mowed and long driveways need to be plowed in the winter. He's much happier now that he doesn't have to maintain his "staff." Besides, as we grow older, the yard seem to grow larger.
    I love the noises. I know people move to the country to get away from the noises, but I love the noises of the countryside. I can differentiate among all the different kinds of birds, crickets and other nature sounds out there. It's heaven.
    I absolutely love the country. I live a little outside the city limits. Not a lot of traffic or annoyances. I love the birds and squirrels. It's a real relief to go home to a sanctuary of calm. It is priceless.
    I grew up in the country and actually don't have much interest in ever going back.

That being said, the thing I miss most is about being separated from the rest of the world. Most times, you don't have a direct neighbor nearby, so you can outside and do whatever....without having to think about anyone else. It's like your own little piece of the earth and nobody else dictates it at all. That's not really something you get in the city because you have to be careful with noise or how you yard looks or where your dog goes, etc.
    I just love the overall peaceful feeling that comes with living in the country. You can literally take the time to stop and smell the roses. The privacy is another added bonus. I love to just sit on my porch or out in the yard with my coffee listening to all the birds, frogs, and crickets.
    I love the peacefulness of being in the countryside. Less traffic, less noise and its not crowded. Air is fresher as well as the food and people are seem to be so friendly. Its not clogged up like other main cities so countryside life suits me much.
  • 4.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I grew to love the countryside more and more overtime. Before I traveled to Poland from Munich, Germany this summer, I was very skeptical about it. I got used to Germany, so I feel like I would go into a culture shock. Plus, it was my first time going to Europe. This was even my first time out of the United States. However, once I got there, I grew to absolutely love it. It was calm, beautiful, and naturalistic. People lived simple lives, I saw old-fashioned homes, and got to seey fiance's uncle's farm. I didn't want to leave, but I am so happy I got to have this wonderful experience.
  • 4.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I live 30minutes from the nearest ANYTHING, in any direction. I love: the privacy, lack of crime, peace and quiet, the a imams, the smell, target shooting in the backyard, and pretty much everything else you can think of. I'll never live in the city again.