Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do It Yourself Forum - is a Community for Landscape - Hardscape - Patio - Pavers - and more.

Would pavers be a good choice for an area around a tree?

edited April 2012 in Patio, Deck, & Pavers 0.00 Karma
Hello, my yard is mostly brick. However we have a build up area with a large tree in the middle of it. The area is dirt, nothing can be planted there. The tree has roots that stick up through the dirt. We have only lived here a little over a year and are now wondering what we can do about this area. I was looking at patio stones the other day in the home improvement store but am wondering if this would be a good idea? Thanks in advance for any opinions.
Tagged:

Comments

• 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    If you can get them shaped around it then sure. We actually keep pavers as an extra for our dog pen when we are not out back with them, one really likes to dig!
    Personally, I would look into landscaping rocks first. 1/4 inch or 1/8 inch. They just look more natural somehow. Patio bricks and formed concrete ( Same to me really) are more for walkways I think
  • H_CH_C
    1.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    It could be difficult with roots near the surface and exposed for a full patio area. A rock bed with some patio stones or flagstone can be placed in an area or areas where no roots are exposed, the rest can be a rock or mulch bed/garden with plants too that require mostly shade.
  • 0.00 KarmaPosts: 8
    Thank you both for your suggestions. Now if the rain would just stop, I could get motivated to get out there and get things done. I am starting to forget what the sun looks like.
  • H_CH_C
    1.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I would like to know what design you decided on, what step stones or flagstone path or patio area and plants you are thinking about. Let me know if you have questions. Have fun.
    Rocks would be easier but from what I have seen you can curve pavers just like you would a normal brick patio, say if you wanted rounded corners. We are thinking maybe a flagstone (large) paver for our patio, but still kicking around a few ideas - they are almost endless!