Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do It Yourself Forum - is a Community for Landscape - Hardscape - Patio - Pavers - and more.

Rabbits

edited May 2012 in Birds & Outdoor Animals 0.00 Karma
Do you keep any rabbits as pets? Are they inside or outside? We had an inside rabbit a few months ago for about a year. We had to give him to a better home where he could run around. Now we're thinking about getting an outside rabbit.

Comments

• 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    We had rabbits as pets for a number of years when my kids were small and as they grew up. Ours were all inside rabbits. The only time they went outside was if we took them in the back yard. We loved having them as pets. Though they do tend to chew on things if you are not watching them closely when they run around the house. Wires seem to be a favorite thing to chew.
    We have rabbits all over our yard, so we call them our pets, even though they are wild. I don't know if I'd want rabbits inside the house. My cousin does have some of those long-eared rabbits who have lived in his home for about five years. For him, they are an ideal pet.
    We had an indoor rabbit for several years. He used a litter box and liked to sleep on the bookcase headboard above my bed. He was a hilarious pet, would chase the kids around and try to take their food if it was something he liked and would follow me around like a dog. We all adored him. He died of old age, and we never could bring ourselves to get another one.
    A friend of mine gave me an Angora bunny a few years ago. I kept it indoor but he had all the house to himself. He was well fed, happy and everything but one day he just rolled on a side and died. That was a shock to me and I asked the vet what caused this to happen. He said it was a heart attack. I don't want anymore rabbits in my house.
    My brother has some outside rabbits and they're all ok.
    I've never had a rabbit... But I've had neighbors who had some. They're so cute! I've also been told that the poop... Alot. That's kind of off putting to me, to be honest.
    I've had outside rabbits before. Just make sure you get a cage or pen that is large enough for him to roam a little bit and he'll be fine. :)
    ... and expect many many bunnies :)))) You also have to prepare for that case!
    Yeah, if you don't want baby bunnies, make sure you only get females. You could get males, but they can get aggressive with one another, so you're better off picking girls and just avoiding the possibility of breeding at all.
    I live in a climate that gets pretty hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter, so I'm not sure how well rabbits would do being strictly outdoors in my neck of the woods, so I would think that they would fare better as indoor pets. But in areas where the climate stays a little more moderate, I would think they would be fine outdoors. And, to Amalia's and Jessi's points, to keep breeding to a minimum, rabbits should be housed separately unless they are all one sex.
    i don't keep rabbits as pets, however I think rabbits should be kept outdoors. Maybe they could be kept in the garden if you have one or just in a cage since it's pretty hard to clean up all the mess they would make if you keep them indoors. Plus, they reproduce very quickly. I don't recommend putting together a male and a female rabbit in a single cage. I think just one rabbit is enough for me.
  • 2.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I have never had a pet rabbit, but I'd love to have one. I heard that they should never be in contact with water? Because if they do, they will die? I don't know if it's true or not. If I'm gonna buy a rabbit, I'll buy 2 white, female ones. They look so cute.
    My brother just bought 3 Belgian rabbits. They're huge :)) and so fluffy and cute :x
    I keep my rabbit as a pet. My rabbit is a indoor pet and I am extremely happy that he is. I wouldn't be satisfied if he was an outdoor pet because I just love him too much and love having him near me at all times when I am at home.
  • 4.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I had a bunny awhile ago I caught at a horse ranch. He was an outside bunny, but if he got out of his little cage (which he was in so he wouldn't go run into the alley), he sure was hard to get back in it! Bunnies are super fast, and boy that rabbit had a strong pair of legs!
  • 4.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I had 4 rabbits when I was young. They were so cute, but I have to keep them outside because my mother doesn't want them in the house. My father built a fence in our backyard.