Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do It Yourself Forum - is a Community for Landscape - Hardscape - Patio - Pavers - and more.

Wild animals as pets

edited June 2012 in Birds & Outdoor Animals 0.00 Karma
A recent episode of America's Got Talent showcased a woman who had a "pet" squirrel. Have you ever known anyone who's adopted a wild animal as their own? Do you agree with this practice?

Comments

• 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    When my husband was growing up, his neighbor kept a pet lion in the back yard in a cage. No one would allow this these days, but they lived within the city limits, and all the kids in the neighborhood would sneak in to see it. It's a wonder nothing serious ever happened.
    I have no problem with "pretending" that a frequent visitor to your yard is a pet, giving it a nickname, etc., but to remove a wild animal from its natural environment and claim it as your own is beyond cruel.
    I think it's wrong to keep a wild animal captive. And that's exactly what it is. I have a few squirrels in my backyard. I have given them names like Sparky and Milo. Just something cute to do while in the backyard. But I would never want to cage a wild animal. Nothing good can come from it. Look at what happens with elephants.
    Yes and no. I have had several wild animals, but it was with the intent of rehabilitating them and releasing them later. I did keep one of the squirrels at one point because her tail had been cut off. While she did recover and act like a happy, healthy squirrel, the tail is kind of key part of the body for balancing for them. I didn't think it'd be safe to release her back into the wild, so she did remain a pet technically. Others I released when they were either better or had grown up enough to be on their own finally.
    Doing rescues of wild animals is ok if you intend to release them in the wild if they can be rehabilitated, but I think it's wrong to keep them merely for pets. I think what Jessi did keeping the squirrel since it couldn't survive out in the wild is ok. Squirrels aren't huge and vicious where they will go mull someone down.
  • edited June 2012 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    My cousin used to have a pet squirrel and it was sleeping in his chest pocket. It went well for a while until one night he rolled over and crushed the poor thing.
    I also had a squirrel but I was keeping it in a big cage, not in my pocket. I had a small lizard, a snake and a hedgehog. Unfortunately you can't pet them :)
    My dream since I was a little girl was to own a feline, a tiger for example. Uf course I realize that's never gonna happen :)
    This is a tough question. While in my wildest dreams I would love to own a pet bobcat, I know that they were never meant to be domesticated. I don't think there is anything wrong with giving names and food to the animals in your yard but I don't agree with catching and making an attempt to domesticate at all. Especially if you have other children or pets. I also commend Jessi for helping animals who can't help themselves.
    ..."and it was sleeping in his chest pocket. It went well for a while until one night he rolled over and crushed the poor thing."

What!? Why on earth would your cousin continue to keep it in his pocket at night?? That's just an accident waiting to happen. :(
    I always wanted to have a wolf , a tiger or a monkey. I find them adorable but my mom insisted because they are dangerous. They are cute but I know they may be harmful especially having little kids who always play around.
    Jessi, don't ask. It happened when I was very little. His parents told him that he should let the animal be free, but he didn't listen and that's why things went terribly wrong.
    Trying to domesticate wild animals as pets is generally not a good practice. In most cases, the animal will revert to its normal, ingrained activities when it becomes mature and will have lost its fear of humans. This can create a dangrous situation as many wild animals are aggressive. Additionally, there are no prventive health programs designed to keep wild animals free from communicable diseases such as rabies, which can pose a health threat.
    I don't think any wild animal should be kept as a pet. I do agree with rescue and sadly there are cases where an animal can not be returned to the wild but there are many animal sanctuaries where a wild animal can live in an environment that as closely as possible, matches that of their environment in the wild.
    I don't know anyone who's adopted a 'wild' animal, but I have heard of celebrities wanting to get rid of their pet tigers... Too hard to maintain, according to them.

Imagine all that meat they have to feed it, they can't really "pet" it, and it's just sitting in a cage. Poor things.

I used to want a pet chameleon, but I feel like it'd be wrong to have it out of its natural habitat.
    My brother and I are on the pets market so we know all the breeders in our city. There are three brothers who have many animals and some years ago they bought a baby lion. Uf course, that wasn't legal but until the authorities found out they would walk the lion in a leash. :)) The authorities eventually took the lion away and put it in a zoo.
    I'm aware that there are quite a few people who keep squirells and monkeys as pets. I don't think of it as a bad practice as long as the pets are treated well. They should be checked by a vet for any infections on a regular basis. Also, they should be fed well and should have enough of space to let them move about.

I have a dog, a bird and a turtle and I think it's alright to keep such animals as pets. About keeping lions and tigers as pets, well that's just a little ridiculous! Maintaining them and looking after their food needs is very expensive. Also, they can be dangerous.
    Yes, awesomesos, it's a bit ridiculous to keep lions and tigers as pets. But what would you say about a camel? Come visit the sea side in Romania. There are a few photographers who have wild animals: lion and tiger cubs and camels. They walk on the beach asking people if they want their photo taken with the animals. It's just cruel. The police finally took attitude and the animals went to the zoo.
  • GiaGia
    0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    My neighbor has two racoons that she adopted as pets after her cat died. She keeps them well fed with cat food, but she went away on a holiday and her daughter forgot to feed the racoons and they ransacked my neighbors back porch.

So, overall I do not agree with her having these wild animals as pets unless she is responsible enough to keep them fed since now they rely on her for their meals. I am also worried about safety, but I have never come face to face with one.
    Gia, you should talk to your neighbor. Racoons can be dangerous animals. Honestly, I consider them pests. If she's not responsible enough, she should get rid of them.
  • edited August 2012 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    Thankfully most of you have some sense, but some of you think that taking an animal out of it's natural environment is OK. It is not OK. The term, "Wild animals" means that they are meant to be wild.

Then people forget to feed them. Then someone puts a squirrel in his shirt pocket and squashes it to death. As those football broadcasters say, "COME ON MAN"!!!!!
    I have a friend who said he had a squirrel when he was a teenager. I cannot remember the circumstances on how he ended up with the squirrel however. My grandfather, who lives way out in the hills of West Virginia, actually had a fawn when I was a little girl. The baby deer just started hanging around, and it eventually left on its own. Generally, I think it is most likely a bad idea to keep wild animals, but I also think there is them rare circumstances.
    Oh that's simply crazy Amalia !!! How does someone keep a camel for a pet? That's the first time I've ever heard of such a thing. And with regards to taking photos on the beach with wild animals, I'm sure there are quite a few people who would want that; but it's as good a exploiting the animals. I'm glad the police intervened.
    I think it is okay if they are babies and have no mothers to raise and teach them. I couldn't imagine caging a wild animal and forcing it to live in captivity. Animals need to be respected. Would you like to live in a cage?
    One of my uncles used to tell us a story about a squirrel that came into his bedroom. We got the biggest kick out of it and to this day we sometimes call him Squirrel or Monkey. It may have been true, but he was drunk when he told us the story. I also knew someone at my church get togethers who had pet racoons. I guess for some reason they were coming into his kitchen and he let them come in.
    No, I don't agree. It's a wild animal can't train them and keep them cages. It's okay nurse them and then release them, but keeping them as a pet is not a good idea. Eventually these animals want freedom to roam, too many times have i seen tigers attacks, or monkeys attacks. Just like the movie "Rise of the planet of the apes" the monkey wanted to go outside and be free.
    No, I don't know anyone who has a wild animal as a pet. I don't like the thought of it. Wild animals are wild for a reason. You are putting yourself and others in harms way when you do this. You also are being unfair to the animal.
    I guess we have normal pets here, dogs, cats and fish. I doubt we would ever have anything wild since we still have a little one and she does not understand that some animals are different than others when it comes to their patience levels.
  • edited September 2012 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    Well It's impossible to care for wild animal. Getting their right nutrition needed is hard to do for a wild animal.

http://www.bbexmarketing.com/website_design_boca_raton.html
    I feel that having a wild animal as a pet is one of the most dangerous things a person can do. I feel that one day this wild animal can snap because it would not be called wild for no reason. Therefore I like to stay on the cautious side.
    It depends on what wild animal you have. I know people who say 'wild animals should NOT be pets' but keep a tarantula. Isn''t that wild enough?
  • 2.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    Our neighbor used to have a small pet monkey, but it was kept in a cage. Then I just heard that the monkey escaped from his cage. He must have been dying to be set free because of boredom. So I think that unless a wild animal is injured, it should not be kept as a pet, and it should be set free to live in it's natural habitat.
    A monkey in a cage? It's like keeping your kid in a cage. I don't approve.
  • edited October 2012 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    If you are able to train it like domesticated animals like dogs and cats and be able to do as you command, I do not see any reason why wild animals can be kept as pets. However, they still have the aggressive instinct to fight back when they are oppressed and they are much more dangerous than domesticated animals. An added caution should be kept in mind when doing such things. But on the other side, it is cool to own a wild animal as pet. This has much more challenge than domesticated ones.
    Yeah he kept the monkey in a cage or he sometimes ties it next to a steel bar. The owner is a drug user too, so I don't expect him to be a responsible pet owner. He sometimes don't feed his pets, he has pet dogs and chickens too. So I feel glad the the monkey got his freedom back. We just don't know if the monkey is safe, now that he's just aimlessly roaming around.
    You should call Animal Control on that guy, Sidney. Those animals deserve a better life.
    The wildest our pets get is when the jungle cat goes out to hunt, this morning I just about fell down the steps when I almost stepped on a recent "present" from her. At first I thought it was a baby squirrel but I think it was a chipmunk.
    @ Amalia, I tried to see how his pets are doing by peeking at his yard, but I can't seem to see the chickens and the dog anymore. It's either they moved their location to his backyard, or they're already dead? I will see what I can do though. His pets don't really look like stick and bones, but sometimes his chickens would fly over to our house (he's a next door neighbor) because they are hungry and would eat whatever they can find in our backyard.
    I think it really depends on the animal. f it's a wild cat, then ok. But something that is not meant for the house, like a squirrel or racoon, obviously not..
    I do not personally know the person but since I once worked assisting an association of homeowners, I came to know of a person who keep several tigers at home. However, it appears that this is a violation of the rules of the subdivision so they want to ask the owner to have the tiger removed. I believe they are also concerned with the safety of the residents. I wanted a pet from the cat family too, probably a leopard, but only because it is cute while it is a cub. I do not want it to grow old. I would not act on my wish of course. I guess wild animals like these cannot really be tamed and domesticated so they are better in zoos and the wildlife for the safety of the people around and also for the animals to have a better life. I mean, i cannot let them wander around so they would probably live their whole life in a cage.
    My neighbor keeps a python, a monkey, and an iguana at home..
    I also know people who keep a lion and a snake as pets. They have their own reasons for their fascination with these animals. As for me, I am very uncomfortable with these animals. I also don't think people will be comfortable to visit me at my house.
    I guess I will be happy with a piranha.. At least it doesn't roam around..
    I've never known anyone personally who's adopted a wild animal as their own. I've watched too many programs on the Animal Planet where larger wild animal pets have attacked and fatally injured their owners to agree with that kind of practice. Sometimes it doesn't even matter if the owners raised the wild animals from infancy either. I don't know if domesticated squirrels would harm anyone, but for me, if it's an animal from the wild, then that's where it belongs.
    There are reasons why wild animals are classified as such..
    I don't think wild animals should be domesticated. If you want to be around them, go to where they are. Don't force them into an environment that isn't natural to them. It's not fair to them.
    Growing up in SE Florida we kept small lizards and snakes as pets. The kid next door to me had a small cement pond his dad made (plumber) and we put all kinds of fish we caught in there. For a while this id's older brother kept a small alligator in an old Coke Cooler (the big ones) but one day it rained enough to raise the water and it escaped.

We fed it hot dogs which in hindsight likely would have made it grab a finger!
    Yes, I too saw this woman on America's Got Talent. I also saw the man with the exotic birds. In both acts these animals seem to be well trained and also loved. However, I don't think owning wild animals is something I would recommend. Let's remember their called wild animals for a reason. They need to be in their own habitat, trying to domesticate them can have dire consequences for you and for the animal as well. However, I guess some wild animals by nature can be domesticated if they start out in this environment at a very young age, and its the only one they have ever known. But keep in mind once again, they are wild animals by nature and that instinct can still come out in them.
    I didn't see this episode, but I personally don't think this sort of practice should be allowed. I feel wild animals should stay in the wild because at the end of the day, how responsible can the owners be if the wild animals was to attack someone, it will simply be too late and too little anyone can do. Just imagine those people that deal with the multiple surgeries that must happen because they were attacked by a wild animal that should be simply left in the wild.
    Wild animals should be left into the wild. It's dangerous for them to be mixed with us considering that they are not tamed or trained to mingle with humans. Pafjlh is correct, they are called wild for a reason. People who are considering this should take precautionary measures to ensure safety not only for themselves but also for other people. Perhaps if there is really a need it should be left to people who are trained to handle wild animals.
    I know various people who have wild pets. I actually know someone who has two Panthers living on his property. Granted he does have permission, has proper fencing etc etc. but in my opinion that's a real "wild pet". Kind of makes an impression if you say "yeah I have panthers at home", instead of "yeah I have two squirrels at home" lol.
    I don't know! There have been a lot of good points made in this discussion and my grandson has a pair of pet rats. They were bred in captivity so they aren't exactly "wild". I'm not comfortable with people keeping really wild animals in captivity though!