Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do It Yourself Forum - is a Community for Landscape - Hardscape - Patio - Pavers - and more.

Paints vs. Wallpaper

edited December 2012 in Painting, Lighting, & Decorating 0.00 Karma
Which would you choose to use to adorn your wallpapers: paints or wallpapers?

Comments

• 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    It would depend on what room we are talking about. I like wallpaper in the kitchen. For me though I have half wallpaper and half paint. I think it breaks the room up. The rest of the house is all paint. Some rooms I have added a wallpaper border.
    I have caught a few nice types of wallpaper that I might consider using, most for formal dinning areas though (and we do not have one of these). I think it depends on a person's style along with what type of feel they are going for within the home.
    I do agree chelles but I also think about how hard it is to remove the wallpaper once your change your mind and no longer want it. I really like textured wallpaper, you can even paint over it to make a painted design on your walls.
    Bob, you have a valid point about removing wallpaper. I thought I wanted wallpaper years ago. I put it up and enjoyed it for a long time. However, I ended up having to hire someone to come and take it down when I decided it was time for a change. I will never have wallpaper again.
    I feel that painting is the better alternative in most cases. I feel that it would look a lot better when finished and the quality of the room would be a lot better as well. I guess it all comes down to personal opinion and this one is mine!
    I much prefer painting, mostly because I've had some bad experiences with wallpaper.

I know that wallpaper is a lot easier these days compared to what it used to be, but it's still a pain.
    I think paint takes more work than wallpaper but I still prefer it. I think wallpaper has a cheap feel to it after having lived with painted room all my life and then suddenly moving into an apartment that is almost fully wallpapered
    The only places I find wallpaper acceptable for (In my own home of course, I'm not trying to say anyone's home is unacceptable) is for my kitchen and bathrooms. I personally like paint, although I cannot explain it, just seems to always bring out the best in the room. Having said that, I don't usually go shopping for wallpaper either.
  • edited February 2013 0.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    Paints, since wallpaper tears a lot.
    We had wallpaper in our last house and it got a bit ugly, haha, but the owners told us we couldn't change it.
    I guess the advantage with wallpaper is the variety of patterns it can come in, but with a bit of skill you can do the same thing with paints, and it'll look more genuine too!
    I started out with wall border in all of my rooms, but since my tastes in decor never last more then a few years, I decided to just go with paint. It is easier to just paint a room over as opposed to tearing off the old and replacing with new. It just depends on your tastes and styles and how often they change.

I always think of wallpaper as old fashion since the only houses that I know, that still have wallpaper were built in the early 1900's, the old victorian farm houses. In those kinds of houses, you almost need to have wallpaper to keep with the original feel to the house, but I guess wallpaper is making a come back. Like I said I just change my mind too much, or just get bored with the same look to easily.
    I always preferred paint, seems more "solid" to me, I can't explain..
    I've never had wallpapers at home, but I've seen some and it didn't seem appealing to me, you can just paint the wall and it will be fine for years and years..
    Definitely paint! After having to take down wallpaper in almost every single room of the first house I purchased, I vowed to never use wallpaper! It is such a hassle to take down and it wont look good forever, and you probably wont even like it forever!
    You can change paint super easy, and all you have to do is paint over it with a good primer. Much easier than scarping bits of paper off walls for a couple hours only to realize you have not even finished one of the four walls that comprise the room.
  • PatPat
    2.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I think I would like wallpaper on a single wall for accent or a small area like a bathroom. Wallpaper can be a lot of work to remove it when you are ready for a change.
    Wallpapers I prefer because I am the type of person that easy gets fed up with things. I also like wallpapers because of the different designs on it. It gives the room a beautiful finish in my own opinion. :)
    I too believe it depends on your own style of what you want. I myself am not really crazy about wallpaper. My husband and I wanted beautiful walls in our living and dinning rooms and someone recommended some nice wallpaper, but I really couldn't find anything of my liking of what I was looking for to go in those rooms.

Instead, I had to talk my husband into doing faux painting on our walls, it took some convincing because he knew it would be a lot of work and my husband refused to have someone come do it for us so he took on the task. I have never been happier with a re-decorating project in our home, the walls are beautiful. When guests come over, they feel led to touch the walls because they think it's some type of wallpaper, but make mention they have never seen any wallpaper like this. Some ask is it actually marble, please who would have the money to place marble on their walls and we tell them it is simply faux painting. I must say, the wall are gorgeous, my husband did a superb job.
    It actually depends on your taste. Say for instance you found a very nice wallpaper that you believe will look real nice in your living room, and no amount of paint can copy that, and not even the most excellent painter can do it, then by all means go for the wall paper. Easy and simple. But here is to what I notice: I often watch shows that involve home renovations and home redesigning (don't they have tons of that in every channel now a days?), and as to what I observed, they do not use wall paper at all, and paints are making waves. It is just a matter of choosing the right color to go with what, and of course, the painter should really be very skillfull and knows his job.
    I'd do wallpaper than paint. Regardless of the room or not I'd still pick wallpaper. It's a drag painting a room.
  • 1.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    If I did wallpaper, I would have it professionally installed rather than attempt to do it myself. Crooked and misaligned seams are a real eyesore.

Overall I would probably just stick with paint, because it's much easier to touch up when you are hanging pictures and other wall art. Plus it's generally easier to keep clean.
  • 3.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I am of the opinion that wallpaper is making a "comeback." Ten years ago I would have never considered putting wallpaper on any wall in my home, however, after seeing some very modern and refreshing prints as of late, I would consider wallpapering a bathroom or a small home office. I still believe that painted walls are better for larger rooms, but to add a bit of interest, I think wallpaper is becoming this edgy, expressive outlet. Remember, think small when it pertains to wallpaper. Don't let the trend carry you away.
  • 4.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    Honestly, my preference depends solely on what I want to do with the individual room. My favorite room is a dark pink paint on 3 walls, the 4th wall has a black wallpaper with large flower patter on it, same shade as the painted walls. The possibilities are endless, though, when you leave your options with both of them.
    The only reason I use wallpaper is because of Landlords having strict rules on paint or for the kitchen. So the grease does not stick to the actual wall when cooking.
    I think wallpaper may run the risk of having air bubbles, though I guess there's the risk of a sloppy paint job, too. As some are saying, I would think it depended on the room (and how much of the wall was showing, for example). Half-and-half can be a cute idea if you want that division of the room. Maybe there's something online that allows you to see what would look like what on your walls? Kind of like a try it before you buy it kinda thing?
  • 2.00 KarmaPosts: 0
    I like a combination of both paint and design the the edges or margins with a line of wallpaper. It would give the room a unique look. There are now many beautiful wall paper designs that really attract my taste. I have been to south korea and almost all of their houses are finished with wall paper. And their department stores are filled with many displays of different beautifully designed wall papers. I just love them.
    I prefer paint because you do not have to worry about paper being torn apart. Wallpaper can get ripped, put up unevenly, and might not match a room fully. With paint, you can control where you want to decorate certain spots. You can also choose what you want to paint. For me, painting to be easier and fun. I love painting, so it suits me well. I also find it to be cheaper because you can save the leftover paint to use for another time. You can combine colors as well. Then again, it depends on your preferences.
    In my home I have used both in most rooms, one or two walls in the paper, the rest in paint, I think it looks stylish and minimalist and I would much rather see a bit of colour and interest to the walls than have them just all painted one colour.